Built in 1788, the Mill on the Fleet was originally constructed to produce cotton using a large water wheel which drove the machinery. Increased competition in the cotton industry from steam driven mills meant the mill was eventually forced to close and the building itself finally went out of use in the 1930's. Today the mill has been restored and serves as a living, breathing reminder of just what industry was like in the nineteenth century.